Baby Shower- A Hilarious Mini Story Based On A True Event

Can a man join in the festivities at a baby shower, or is it a strictly female-only event? A side-splitting story that actually happened.


Story: S A Spencer

A chill runs down my spine as I arrive at the venue for my colleague’s wife’s baby shower. I was never so much jumpy even when I came to appear at the interview for the company I am employed now. I am flooded with a flashback of the interview. I had stated I am a person who can cultivate amicable relationships with others and can connect quickly. I believe this was one of my strengths that landed me in this temporary to permanent job.

Temp to perm! That means I need to prove my performance from day one. Thar day has arrived. One of the guys I spoke to on Zoom for my interview is now hosting the baby shower.

When he circulated the invitation to all the staff through the office WhatsApp group, I was the first one to RSVP.

I should have realised that the invitation was open to everyone, and likely only female staff members accepted.

When I reach the venue, I can feel the gift in my hand, heavy with anticipation and a lingering question. I have never attended a single baby shower in my life. Vaguely recall that, like bridal showers, baby showers are often just for women. Mostly or strictly? I scratch my head, but my memory refuses to provide a single clue. And I don’t even remember if I had read the invitation carefully.

That means I have already proved I’m not a person with ‘attention to the detail’ as I had shown as my strength in my resume.

Hopefully, I am in the right place, rightfully. I continuously assure myself. Going back before showing my face would be disgraceful to the manager who could be the person again to take another interview before making me permanent.

I carefully tiptoe to the venue, feeling the envelope with the gift voucher rustle in my pocket.

What if the program is exclusive to women? I am about to endure the most shameful episode of my life. My stomach twists in nuts, palms sweat, and heart begins to pound. Upon seeing three women with gift packs entering the hall, my apprehension intensifies.

I wait for a few moments and inhale a deep breath. But delivering the envelope with the five hundred dollars gift card would never solve its goal if I go back.

A concept pops into my inventive brain, maybe the outcome of a few seconds of profound inhalation. What about pretending to deliver the gift on behalf of a guest who couldn’t make it at the last moment? Emergencies happen. I also quickly think of a female name: Jenny.

I am still standing outside, with no guts to peek in and find for myself.

If it were women exclusively here, I would locate a female who could assume the role of an organizer or something of the sort and give her the envelope with my name facing down. She would deposit the same into a gift box or gift table. In time, my senior colleague will discover my name and comprehend that I have presented him and his wife with a valuable gift, a $500 voucher.

What a novel idea? I should have given myself a pat on the back.

I push open the door and enter the function hall.

A wave of relief washes over me when I find there are a few men around. Confidence bloom inside me and I feel a smile forming on my lips. Holding the envelope in one hand, I walk into the crowd. Groups of men and women are standing in various places and talking. It is the first half hour of the schedule and I think the host is still waiting for most guests to arrive to begin the celebration.

“Would you like a drink?” a woman in a uniform asks me.

My throat was already dry because of the heated thoughts circulating in my brain for the last thirty minutes. “Yes, a beer, please.”

“Wait, a moment.” She turns around and walks away. The logo and name of a party organising business stares at me from the backside of her top. But only for a moment as she immediately turns back to me and asks me again, “Did you ask for a beer?”

“Yes.” Maybe she couldn’t hear because of the noise of collective chatting in the hall.

“Let me see if there is one.” She turns around again, and this time vanishes. My attention goes to the wine glasses guests are holding. I don’t see anyone with beer. A sign heralding the baby shower catches my eye, but the view is obscured by a cluster of women standing precisely before it.

A vivid flashback of a bank from the week before pops into my mind. I was standing in front of a counter to get my documents verified for opening a new bank account. The female customer service officer asked me, “What is your gender, sir?”

The question tested the limits of my intelligence. “Sorry?”

Sir, as per the latest guidelines, we are supposed to ask the customer before marking him or her as male or female. We are not allowed to use our visual judgement. You may identify yourself as a female, male, or decide not to be identified by any gender.”

“I am a male.” My masculine ego sounds prominently in my reply and punches my ears.  

“Thank you, sir.”

Later on I realised all the while she was addressing me as ‘sir’ even before asking my gender.

What if the men I see here in the function are people who are identifying themselves as women?

I must wait for the formal proclamation to recognise who my host is due to the fact that I saw him on the Zoom screen a month ago, and my visual recollection is not strong.

I decide not to take a chance of a humiliation. Depositing the gift envelope in the designated table would suffice my purpose. My colleague would know I had come there with a valuable gift. I am sure like me he would also never recognise my face. Only identify my name from the gift card.

I smile at my intelligence. I am now sure my job will become permanent.

I act speedily and the envelope finds its way into the wish box.

“Your beer please.” The server lady finally finds a beer for me.

“Thanks,” I extend my arm but immediately retracts, “Sorry, forgot I…” what do I reason? “I forgot doctor’s advice not to drink.”

I turn around and rush out before she can react.

A profound breath escapes me as I step out of the entrance. But the next second, a sign to the entrance of another hall on the same floor catches my sight. ‘Welcome to the Baby Shower of ….’

I have already deposited the gift card in the wish box of another party that was not of my colleague.

Enough. I close my eyes and stand there for a minute before rushing back home.

In a moment of reflection, I choose to omit the phrase ‘attention to detail’ from my resume.

 

 Acknowledgment- Narrated to me by a reader, Joseph Henry, with a request to feature his experience in a story blog.

You can also send your funny or other life experiences to me, and I will make a story and publish, acknowledging your contribution. Or, if you can write your own story, I will publish the same with your name as a writer. Writing should be between  1000-1500 words.

 S A Spencer- I will bring more stories for your entertainment. Please follow me 

 on Facebook and Twitter so that you know when a new story comes.

Do you like this story? Let your friends also read this.


Share through





Comments

Popular Stories

Lucky Chicks- A Cute Mini Story

Lucky Ladlee- a big house and a fat wallet can’t compensate for a large heart.

Miss Sparrow - A Story of Survival and Kindness