Brain Fry- A Hilarious Mini Story Based On A True Incident

As I sat stranded at the crack of dawn with a flat tyre, I couldn’t help but ponder the snowball effect of one issue, leading to several more.



Story: S A Spencer

Photo by Robina Weermeijer

Only one problem.

There is a chance that my car’s tyre is flat. I quickly pull over to the side of the road and hop off. The nearest light post is playing hard to get and won’t turn on for me. The bulb is dead. When I light the mobile torch, I realise the problem count is not just one, but two.

My half-asleep brain is slightly coming to sense. Yes, you are right. There is a second problem. My phone battery is actually dying. “No worries,” a assure myself, “I can manage to fix the tyre and get moving.”

McDonalds should be only about a five minutes’ drive away. I feel the pit in my stomach. Urgency kicks in.

I crouch and check that the rear right tyre looks different from the rest. I was right. It is flat. And need to be fixed before I can head to McDonalds. Oh, my god. I am really famishing. But how do I fix this? Soon I realise there is a third problem.

The 3rd one is I don’t know how to replace a car tyre.

I curse myself silently. Let me be frank with you. I am an international student at an Australian university. I am from a wealthy family. My family has many cars and drivers too. I never imagined that a flat tyre would leave me marooned in a strange place at an inconvenient time.

4th problem hits my conscious like lightning. It’s 2 AM. The road is empty.

I grab my phone and scroll through my contacts, searching for a friend who I think lives close by. Bloody hell. The phone’s screen remains blank and unlit when I attempt to use it.

That is problem number 5.

I can’t repair it myself and can’t even book an Uber. Winter in Australia falls in June, so I can’t wait inside the vehicle until morning, or I’ll freeze. The thought of being frozen to death overrides the hunger pangs.

I plan to walk up to my apartment building. But how long I have to walk? Unfortunately, my smartphone can’t give an answer without juice. My reliance on modern gadgets and apps is so heavy that I can’t recall the last time I made an educated guess. My brain is no more used to guessing and calculating.

The chill seeps deeper into my bones with every passing moment, so I start to walk. Oh yeah, wait a minute. A car is coming in my direction. I stand still, listening to the sound of the wind rustling through the leaves, closing my eyes, and offering a prayer to God, something I hadn’t done in ages. “God, please touch the driver’s heart and compel him to stop and help. God, please make sure he knows how to change a flat tyre. Not a good-for-nothing like me.”

Surprise. God even listens to the prayer of a non-believer! The car stops. And a man gets off. “What is wrong, mate?”

I am speechless thinking of the kindness of the God Almighty. I stare at my car.

“Got it. Need a jump-start?” He opens his boot before getting any response from me.

“No, sir. I got a flat tyre.”

He closes his boot and stares at me. “Oh, don’t have a spare one?”

“I have. But…”

“But?”

“I don’t know.”

The man must be around sixty. He looks at me as if I am an alien. “You don’t know where the spare tyre is?”

“I know. But can’t fix.”

“Then why did you say you don’t know?”

“Sorry, sir. Please…”

“Tell me one thing, where were you going at such a late night? I mean, it’s past two am.”

Can I ask the same question to you?

I don’t know what to say. How does it matter to him where I was going? His job is to fix my tyre and help me. “I got an emergency.”

A shadow forms on his face. “Emergency means?”

I scratch my head. Never expected this man would investigate like a detective. But I am not a criminal and he is not going to dig into whatever lies I say now to get his sympathy. In return, he would help in installing the spare tyre. “I have a stomach problem.”

“Oh, I see. Is it still there?”

“Yes.” I look down to hide my embarrassment.

“Are you going to a chemist?”

I feel my eyes brighten. This must be the end, and he will stop questioning me. “Yes.”

“Which chemist is open at this late hour?”

Damn it. I never thought of this possibility. “No, not a chemist. My friend lives a kilometer away,” I point my finger in the direction he was coming, “and he has the medicine.”

“Oh, your friend.”

“Yes.”

“And he lives in that direction.”

I nod my head. I am too tired now to answer his questions.

He stares at my car for a while. “But your car is faced to the other side! Were you driving in reverse gear?”

Bloody hell. Why didn’t I think of my car’s position before answering? I stand like a guilty person. Should I ask him ‘Please stop investigating and help me with how to install the tyre?’

Before I could ask him anything, he asks me, “What do you do?”

“I am a student.”

“Oh, a student! Australian?”

“No, international student.”

“How much you paid for this car?”

“$2000.”

“Thought so. The car appears to be from a scrapyard. Are you still getting the stomachache?”

“I do.”

“Where exactly?”

I point at my tummy. “Here.”

“How does it feel?”

“Umm. I…” I struggle to find an answer. “It’s like…like being hungry.”

“Hungry?”

“Sir, I was studying in the evening. And don’t remember when I fell asleep. When I woke up, it was too late to go cook, and I was famishing. I thought…”

“You thought you will knock on the door of a friend and ask him if he has any leftover in his fridge!”

“No. I thought I can go to Meccas and eat.”

For the first time, I notice a flicker of a smile on his face. “Oh, this is a brand-new type of stomach pain I had never heard of.”

“Yes. Can you, please…”

“Look, man. I have never replaced a flat tyre before. But I will guide you with what to do and help to solve your problem.”

“Sure, sir. I just need the guidance and I will do it myself. And next time I will even help anyone who is stranded like me!”

He walks towards his car and opens the door. “Call a motoring club and they will help you.” He jumps inside and shuts the door.  

I stand like a stone, eyes glued to his car. “Sir, which motoring club? Do you have their number?”

He cranes his neck through the open window. “The club in which you are a member.” Bringing the car to a start, he drives away.

I am still standing on the curbside on a cold winter night. The pain has migrated to my brain and is pounding away at it. But my hunger has quenched.

Please send your funny or other life experiences to me, and I will make a story and publish, acknowledging your contribution. Or, if you can write your own story, I will publish the same with your name as a writer. Writing should be between  1000-1500 words.

 S A Spencer- I will bring more stories for your entertainment. Please follow me 

 on Facebook and Twitter so that you know when a new story comes.

Do you like this story? Let your friends also read this.


Share through





Comments

  1. Loved this story. I wish to read many more from this author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Stories

Lucky Chicks- A Cute Mini Story

Lucky Ladlee- a big house and a fat wallet can’t compensate for a large heart.

Miss Sparrow - A Story of Survival and Kindness