Swans And The Little Boy- A Cute Short Story

A chance encounter with a little boy and the swans in the picturesque lake changes everything. Can Leena balance her professional aspirations with her desire for a family as she navigates the complexities of her life?


Story By: S A Spencer

Photo by Drazen Nesic, pixnio.com

“That boy is weeping.” Michael whispers to me as we walk around the edge of the Woodcroft Lake.

        “We need to pick up the pace,” I say, urging him to keep up. “We have to run a kilometre in less than seven minutes if we want to be ready for the City to Surf marathon.”

        As we walk, he paces beside me, his eyes fixed on that boy. It feels like yesterday when we bought our brand new house in this part of Sydney, and now it’s almost eight years. Our love for this lake and the lush greenery that surrounds it is unending, and we can’t imagine ever tiring of their beauty.

        We pace and walk through the pine trees just before the tennis court. Michael turns his head while still walking. “Leena, look at him.”

        “What, Michael? I can’t even see his face properly from this side of the lake. All I see is he is still sitting on the side of the picnic table and his mother…”

        “Yes, his mother. You need to take the circumstantial evidence and arrive at the conclusion.”

        “Michael,” frustration is apparent in my voice, “stop watching those crime series, court room. He is a little boy and is weeping. What is abnormal in that? His mum is cajoling him.”

        He doesn’t respond. As I gaze into his eyes, I can feel the weight of the pain he has been carrying for ages.

        We don’t have children. But whenever he sees a child, his heart melts. I regret not agreeing with him when he wanted to start a family, and sometimes I blame myself for it. My body and my decision. This was my argument, and enough to stop him. I remember the sadness in his eyes each time I refused his offer, even though he promised to take a two-year break from work to take care of the child.

        Michael has always honoured the rights and feelings of an independent woman like me. Even at the cost of his own interests.

        My heart melts. I wonder if I am being impolite to the only man who has accepted me for who I am and loved me unconditionally. “We will soon arrive at that picnic table, and I will ask his mother.”

        “You will?” Michael slows down and gazes into my eyes, “will it be appropriate? Like interfering in someone’s private life?”

        I chortle. “That woman is new in our neighbourhood. I have seen her a few times before. This will be a chance to introduce us and then ask what happened to her boy.”

        I throw a sideways glance and notice the corners of his mouth turning up into a faint smile. Michael begins to walk faster, as if eager to meet the child. The lake twists towards the north of the park as we cross the main play area, and our attention goes to the boy and his mother. I remind myself to set the smartwatch’s jogging activity to a pause.

        “He is still weeping.” Michael flicks a glance at me, a fatherly affection dazzling in his eyes.

        “He is a little boy. His mother appears to be denying his request for something he is asking for. I’ve seen kids arguing with their parents for more tablet time.”

        We finally arrive there and turn to the picnic shed from the jogging track.

        “Pause your jogging activity mode.” Michael whispers at me.

        “I did.”

        The woman looks at us.

        “Hello, I am Leena,” I extend my hand, “and you are our new neighbour.”

        She flicks a chortle. “I am Maria. And this is my boy, Charles.”

        “Charles! What a lovely name. You are prince Charles.” Michael beams into action.

        The boy ceases his argument with his mother and shifts his focus to us.

        “He is not happy with something.” I try to begin a conversation.

        “Oh, nothing. You will laugh at if you will listen.”

        “No worries, laughing is a wonderful exercise. Can we join with you?” Michael extends his hand to the boy.

        The boy’s face transforms from agony to relief, and he eagerly reaches out his hand to shake my husband’s.

        “I am Michael, the man who can solve anything.” He shook the boy’s hand with his salesperson approach.

        “The birds and fish are all sick.” Charles points at the lake, his voice still shaking. “They might die.”

        “Oh, this is really serious.” Michael brings a seriousness to his voice. “Don’t worry. We’ll find a way to handle it,” he says with determination.

        Maria is trying to stop herself from bursting into a laugh. I bite my lip and hold my breath to stifle a giggle.

        “Yesterday when we came here, some people were throwing breadcrumbs at the birds and the fish as well. He saw the notice board warning not to feed the birds or fishes, as they might fall sick of the unusual food.” Maria said.

        “They are ignorant people,” Charles said, pointing at the notice board, “they can’t even read what is written.”

        “Oh, that is odd,” Michel added.

        “He is asking me, Mum, let’s stay here until dark and stop anyone who brings food for them. How is it possible?”

        “Don’t worry, Charles,” Michael says, “they are still okay. Maybe they have already taken medicines. How does your mum give you medicines when you are sick?”

        “No, they are not okay. A swan is already dead and floating in the water.”

        My gaze immediately goes to the water, how didn’t we notice a dead swan still floating?

        Michael looks at the bird and pauses for a few moments. “This is not good. You are right, Charles. Those people should never feed them.” Then he takes a walk to the edge of the water and stands there for a minute, as if seriously sad at the death of the swan. Then he comes back.

        The lake is full of swans and ducks.

        “Charles, did you notice yesterday some birds are quicker than others to snatch the breadcrumbs?”

        Charles’ eyes roll. “Yes. I did.”

        A smile appears on Michael’s lips. “That’s the reason. He died from overeating. But the good news is, I know something about aquatic animals and the birds who feed on them.”

        Charles eagerly looks into his eyes, waiting for him to say more.

        “Do you know these birds and fish have their own medicines?”

        “Do they?” A smile appears on his face.

        Maria and I fall silent, trying to read his motives.

        “Notice the numerous aquatic weeds that have taken over the lake.”

        “Yes.”

        “Right, some of them are like medicines and actually cure these fish and birds. I am sure some of them fell sick and now are all good after having their dose. Do you see any fish or any other bird dead here?”

        “No.” Charles seems convinced. “But…”

        “But why did that swan die? Is this your question?”

        “Yes.”

        “Because he was a naughty bird and didn’t listen to his mum. He ate so much bread that he had no place left in his stomach for the medicine. Or his mum gave him the medicine, and he didn’t care.”

        A smile flicked across Charles’s face. “Will you be my friend?”

        “Yes, I am. Already.” Michael giggles.

        “You must be a wonderful dad,” Maria must have thought being a middle-aged couple we might have grown-up children.

        Michael remains silent, but his smile speaks volumes.

        “We will let you, mum and son to stay here and enjoy the afternoon. We must go for our exercise.” I step out and Michael follows me.

        After going some distance, I say, “Michael, can I say something?”

        “Sure, what?”

        “Can we start a family?”

        He halts and turns his gaze at me. “You?”

        “Yes, I am serious.”

        He takes me into a hug, “You are so lovely Leena. I promise, I will take two years’ break from my career and become a stay home dad. Your career…”

        “I don’t care about my career anymore. I have enjoyed this for decades already and now want to enjoy the motherhood. After all, there is only one life. I would like the get the best out of it.”

        The lake shimmers with the reflections of the dusk light, as we bask in the glow of pure happiness.


All Stories on this Blog Site are purely a work of fiction and any resemblance to anyone or any incident is purely a coincidence. 

Please send your funny or other life experiences to me, and I will make a story and publish, acknowledging your contribution. Or, if you can write your own story, I will publish the same with your name as a writer. Writing should be between  1000-1500 words.

 S A Spencer- I will bring more stories for your entertainment. Please follow me 

 on Facebook and Twitter so that you know when a new story comes.

Do you like this story? Let your friends also read this.


Share through





Comments

Popular Stories

Lucky Chicks- A Cute Mini Story

Lucky Ladlee- a big house and a fat wallet can’t compensate for a large heart.

Miss Sparrow - A Story of Survival and Kindness