The Goddess Of Smile- The Painting shrouded in Mystery

The painting's secret is shrouded in mystery. It was briefly displayed at the exhibition and vanished just as quickly. Her smile was captivating, emanating a brilliance that surpassed even that of the Mona Lisa.


Story By: S A Spencer
Author of Romance Fiction: Dream In Shackles

Photo by Skitterphoto

I stand before the painting, my eyes fixed on it in awe. The colours are so vivid, the brushstrokes so precise. I can feel the texture of the canvas under my fingertips, rough and grainy.

The painting is a masterpiece, far surpassing even the famous Mona Lisa. I am so captivated by it I don’t even notice the people around me, all admiring the other works of art on display.

As I continue to gaze at the painting, I notice a note beneath it. “This painting is not for sale, and no photography, please.” My heart sinks a little - I would give anything to own this piece of art.

Nevertheless, I can’t tear my eyes away from it. There’s something about the painting that draws me in, an inexplicable feeling that I can’t quite put into words.

A woman standing nearby remarks on the painting’s beauty, and I nod in agreement. “It’s incredible, especially the smile,” I say, my voice barely above a whisper.

As I continue to stare at it, I can hear the soft murmur of voices all around me, the shuffling of feet as people move from one exhibit to the next.

And yet, in this moment, it feels like there’s just me and the painting. I can almost smell the oil paint, the faint scent of linseed oil lingering in the air.

It’s a strange feeling, being so enraptured by a piece of art. But as I stand there, lost in thought, I know that this painting will stay with me for a long time.

I stand tall, taking in the scene around me. The buzz of the crowd behind me is almost deafening, all fixated on the same photo. No other painting in the exhibition has stirred such intense interest.

“Oh, what a smile.” An elderly man says.

“Maybe therefore it hasn’t been offered for sale,” muses a fellow art enthusiast. “I visit this exhibition frequently, yet I’ve never seen this piece before. The organisers must be waiting for a publicity campaign to boost its value.”

We all nod in agreement when a young girl to my left interrupts, “No. There’s a comment written faintly to the side of the painting, in tiny letters that almost blend with the background colour so that it won’t be easily noticed.”

I retrieve my reading glasses and scrutinize the photo closely. The letters are minuscule and barely visible. ‘One can buy a painting, but not the smile. There is a story behind this. Jo Brinson.’

Suddenly, the nameless painter, Jo Brinson, comes to life in my mind.

“I am curious to know why this painting is not for sale,” I say, my voice echoing through the exhibition hall. The scent of fresh paint and varnish fills my nostrils as I stand before the artwork. I can’t help but wonder why it’s not up for purchase. “If it’s already sold, then the sticker ‘SOLD’ is enough to inform any of us potential buyers.”

The visitors around me turn to look, some nodding in agreement with my statement. A woman to my left, who I’ve seen at the exhibition multiple times, speaks up. “This is a decades-old picture,” she says, her voice soft but assertive. I glance at the date near the artist’s name and realise she’s right. The date shown is 29 May 1985.

“Your name, please?” I ask, feeling a connection with her as we both stand entranced by the artwork.

“Oh, me? I’m Bernadette, manager of the exhibition,” she replies with a smile.

“Nice to meet you, Bernadette.” A sudden desire wells up within me. “I understand it’s a privacy issue, but can I get the artist’s contact details? With her permission, of course.”

I’m sure there’s something special about this painting. Had it not been for the seclusion of its location and the prohibition on mobile phones and cameras within the premises, someone like myself, a regular attendee of art exhibitions, would have already witnessed it. The “No Photography Allowed” notice near the picture adds to the intrigue.

“I will, sure. But please give me some time,” Bernadette says.

After leaving the exhibition, my mind is consumed with thoughts of the painting day and night. I can’t shake the feeling that this artwork could be more famous than even the “Smile of Monalisa” and break its record. I take a day off work to return to the exhibition hall, expecting to capture the picture in my mind and store for ever. Wasn’t it a way in the days before cameras came into being?

My eyes widen in disbelief as I gaze at the empty spot on the gallery wall. The painting, which had captured my heart with its vibrant colours and playful brushstrokes, was gone. A jolt of shock twists my nerves, sending shivers down my spine.

I inhale deeply, trying to calm my racing heart, but the air is thick, making me feel lightheaded. I scan around, looking for Ms. Bernadette, the organiser whom I had met the day before. The sound of my footsteps echoes in the empty gallery, adding to the eerie atmosphere.

Finally, I spot her, and my relief is palpable. “What happened to the painting?” I ask, my voice trembling with emotion.

“No, ma’am,” she replies, her voice soft and reassuring. “The fact is, the owner of the art took it back. She didn’t say the reason. But we value more the emotions of the creators than the money we make in this business.”

I exhale a shy, and the sound is so loud, even I can hear it, and most probably, Miss Bernadette.

“But I have good news, ma’am,” Bernadette adds, flickering a soothing smile. “I have got the contact details, and the owner has agreed to honour you with an interview.”

I can’t help but smile at this unexpected turn of events, grateful for the chance to learn more about the artist and her work. The sound of my footsteps recedes as I make my way out of the gallery, still feeling the lingering scent of fresh paint and the excitement of the interview to come.

What is the tale behind the mysterious picture? I yearn for my peaceful slumber leading up to the interview days. Impatience gnaws at me as I wonder when I’ll lay my eyes on it again and learn the story behind that enigmatic smile.

Are you, too, consumed by curiosity? Please remain patient, if you can. I’ll certainly share my experience with you - but only once I’m privy to the details. Stay tuned to this blog, or if you’d like to be notified, follow this blog or my Facebook page.

All Stories on this Blog Site are purely a work of fiction and any resemblance to anyone or any incident is purely a coincidence. Copyright by Shrimant. All rights reserved. 

Please send your funny or other life experiences to me, and I will make a story and publish, acknowledging your contribution. Or, if you can write your own story, I will publish the same with your name as a writer. Writing should be between  1000-1500 words.

 S A Spencer- I will bring more stories for your entertainment. Please follow me 

 on Facebook and Twitter so that you know when a new story comes.

Do you like this story? Let your friends also read this.


Share through





Comments

Popular Stories

Lucky Chicks- A Cute Mini Story

Lucky Ladlee- a big house and a fat wallet can’t compensate for a large heart.

Miss Sparrow - A Story of Survival and Kindness