Buddie- Puppy Needs A Mum

Carly can’t wait to meet the new puppy next door, and already imagines herself cuddling and playing with the little ball of fur.


Story By: S A Spencer

Author of Romance Fiction: Dream In Shackles

Photo by Berkay Gumustekin  

I can hear a pitiful bark coming from the next door, and it sounds like a cry for help. The sound is incessant, preventing me from getting any sleep. I can’t tell whether it’s a he or she, but it’s undoubtedly a young pup. My owners have left me in the backyard without a leash, but I can’t jump over the fence to reach the poor pup. I circle the yard, looking for any gaps in the timber fence, but it was only a month ago that I was able to sneak through, and the neighbour fixed it the next day.

A pang of motherly love courses through my veins, despite the fact that I’ve been desexed. I bark loudly, “Bow wow, bow wow. My name is Carly. And you?” The puppy on the other side of the fence quiets down, but only for a moment. Then the puppy starts yelping again, making me feel helpless.

I have no way to reach the other side and comfort the puppy. It must be a new addition to the neighbour’s family, as I’ve never heard barking from that side before. Unable to determine the gender of the puppy, I assign it the masculine gender, as my intuition tells me it’s a boy.

The puppy’s yelping continues to resonate in my ears. I look up at the sky and pray, “Oh Dog Goddess, I beg of you to let me see this child. I have never asked you for anything, but today I am pleading with you. I want to bond with this baby.”

The air is cool and crisp, and the sun is just starting to peek over the horizon. The grass under my paws is dewy, and the scent of freshly cut grass lingers in the air. The timber fence surrounding my yard is old and weathered, with rough and splintered boards that have seen better days. The sound of the puppy’s yelping is sharp and piercing, making my heart ache.

As a young pup, I once met a wise old dog in the park who taught me about the existence of a goddess just for canines. Her name was Dog Goddess, and though I had never prayed to her, I felt comforted knowing she was watching over us. My owner was always attentive and provided for my every need, so I never felt compelled to call upon her divine assistance. But one day, she must have heard my prayer.

That afternoon, my owners George and Nina return from work and take me for a walk. As we stroll through the neighbourhood, George mentions that our neighbour John had recently acquired a new puppy. “He called me from work asking for help walking the little guy. We’ll be heading over there later tonight,” he said.

I feel a tingle of excitement at the prospect of meeting the new pup. George unlocks the side gate to John’s house with ease, using a key that I had never seen before. I make a mental note to investigate where he keeps it later. As we enter the backyard, I can smell the scent of fresh grass and hear the distant chirping of birds.

“Stop, Carly,” Nina says, gently tugging at my leash as I begin to jump up and down with excitement. “Remember, we’re meeting a new friend today. You have to be kind.” She kneels down and rubs my neck and back, and I let out a happy “wow, wow” in response.

As John’s little puppy comes bounding over, I can see his soft brown fur and the way his little tail wags. I can hear his tiny barks and feel the warmth of his body as he nuzzles up against me. I know that Dog Goddess must have been listening to my prayers after all.

As the baby dog arrives, George loosens his leash, and he runs straight to me, his wet nose sniffing my body. The soft fur on his back tickles my skin, and a warm, motherly affection spreads through my body. I lean down and lick his mouth and neck, trying to comfort him. “Don’t cry, little one,” I whisper. “I know you miss your mum. But from now on, I’m your aunt. Your next-door aunt. All right? Happy?”

I lift my head and look at Nina and George, waiting for their reaction. “Carly is happy to see the baby dog,” George says, a smile spreading across his face.

“What’s his name?” Nina asks, crouching down to pat the puppy’s back.

“No-name, until Lara and John agree on one,” George replies, holding the puppy’s chain.

“You’re a good boy, No-name,” Nina chuckles at George and then coos to the puppy. “Look, you’ve got a friend now.”

“Friend?” I murmur. “I’m more than a friend. I’m a mother. No, an aunt.”

As we start walking, I stay as close as possible to the baby boy. But he doesn’t even glance at me. Instead, he jerks his leash, as if he wants to run away and find his mum.

I can hear the rustling of leaves under our feet and the distant sound of cars passing by. The air is cool and crisp, and the scent of flowers fills my nostrils.

Nina and George exchange a look, are they both thinking the same thing as I am? The poor little thing must be so scared and lonely without his mother. But with our love and care, he’ll soon feel right at home.

“He is sad, must be missing his mum. Or the ex-owner. Look how he is trying to escape.” Nina says, as the baby boy dog whimpers and tugs on his leash.

“He had no proper owner,” George replies, his voice calm and reassuring as he tightens his grip on the leash. “He is from a professional breeding agency. They breed dogs to sell them. He will take time to be familiar with John and his wife. This is a phase in his life.”

As we make our way to the park, the sounds of barking and playful yelps fill the air. The sun beats down on us, warming our skin and the pavement beneath our feet. The smell of freshly cut grass mixes with the scent of dog droppings, making for an interesting aroma.

Once we arrive, it’s clear that we’re not the only ones with the idea of taking our dogs for a walk. The park is bustling with activity, with other dogs running around and their owners chatting and laughing with each other.

Baby boy dog becomes alert, his ears perking up as he takes in the sights and sounds around him. He keeps on looking at the other dogs, his tail wagging tentatively as he tries to make sense of this new environment.

Nina and George walk together, their feet sinking slightly into the soft grass of the park.

“Australia is moving away from civilization,” George grumbles, his voice slightly muffled by the sound of chirping birds nearby.

“What do you mean?” Nina asks, slowing down to match George’s pace. I, too, stop in my tracks, waiting to hear his answer.

“People are walking their dogs, but who will pick up the poos?” George complains, his voice rising slightly above the rustle of leaves in the gentle breeze.

I can hardly concentrate on George’s words, for my attention is fixed on the small, fluffy puppy walking along with us nearby. The motherly instincts inside me are about to overflow, and I can hardly wait to get closer to the little pup and shower him with love.

As I move closer to the baby dog, I catch a whiff of his sweet puppy scent. He lifts his head and sniffs the air, his nose twitching curiously.

“I am Aunt Carly, pet dog of George and Nina,” I say in my doggy accent. The little pup doesn’t respond but continues to sniff me.

“They are becoming friends,” Nina chuckles as she slows to a stop. George does the same. The sun is shining down, and I can feel its warmth on my fur. The sound of children playing and birds chirping fills the surrounding air.

“Let’s give them time to get to know each other,” Nina continues. “See how their friendship develops and how they become... sort of...”

“Brother and sister?” George suggests.

“Noooo,” I wag my tail and shake my head at the same time. “I want to be his mother. Or maybe his aunt. He’s just a baby.”

I can hardly contain my excitement as I look at the little pup. I can smell the scent of wet fur and puppy breath as he sniffs me again, silently accepting my words.

“We’ll call you by your name once we find out what it is,” George says, and I can feel the anticipation in the air. “For now, you’re just ‘No-name’, okay?”

We play in the park until the sun sets and the stars come out. The air grows cooler, and I can feel the dew on the grass as we run and play.

George announces some great news. “Nina. Got it. John has texted. They just decided to name him ‘Buddy’ after lots of arguments.”

“Nice name,” Nina says, and I can hear the excitement in her voice. “We had also taken more than a month to decide upon a name for our girl-Carly, and after tons of arguments.”

“But that was before Carly came to our home,” George adds. “Not like John and Lara, first buy a puppy and then think of a name. And call him ‘No-Name’ until that. Look at him, he didn’t have an identity until now.”

I can feel the joy in the air as we all celebrate the little pup’s new name, Buddy.

As the sun vanishes completely, it’s time for us to return home. Walking alongside Buddy, I feel a pang of sadness. I wish I could spend more time with him and show him how much I care. Suddenly, a thought pops into my head - what if Nina and George adopt him from John? They could bring another dog from the market, and Buddy would get all the love he deserves.

“How much did John pay for Buddy?” Nina asks George as we make our way back home.

“I’m not sure, but he wasn’t cheap,” George replies.

As they discuss the price, I can’t help but think about how different our languages are. They talk about “money,” a concept that doesn’t exist in our canine world. If only I could communicate with them, I would offer to pay for Buddy and ask if they could adopt him.

Finally, we arrive home, and Lara and John are already there. “Thanks for taking Buddy for a walk,” Lara says, smiling.

Nina replies, “No, thank you. Carly loves spending time with Buddy. In fact, would you mind if he spends the days in our backyard when I work from home? He’ll have a new mother in me, and Carly will have a cute little brother.”

I’m amazed at how Nina seems to understand what I’m thinking without me saying a word. As I approach Buddy and touch my nose to his cheek, I whisper, “You’re my baby now, and I’ll take care of you.”

Buddy rubs his body against mine, and I feel his fur against my skin. The warmth of his body and the softness of his fur make me feel happy inside.

All Stories on this Blog Site are purely a work of fiction and any resemblance to anyone or any incident is purely a coincidence. 

Please send your funny or other life experiences to me, and I will make a story and publish, acknowledging your contribution. Or, if you can write your own story, I will publish the same with your name as a writer. Writing should be between  1000-1500 words.

 S A Spencer- I will bring more stories for your entertainment. Please follow me 

 on Facebook and Twitter so that you know when a new story comes.

Do you like this story? Let your friends also read this.

Share through





Comments

Popular Stories

Lucky Chicks- A Cute Mini Story

Lucky Ladlee- a big house and a fat wallet can’t compensate for a large heart.

Miss Sparrow - A Story of Survival and Kindness