The Goddess Of Smile Part II- The Painting shrouded in Mystery

 The painting's secret is shrouded in mystery. It was briefly displayed at the exhibition and vanished just as quickly. Her smile was captivating, emanating a brilliance that surpassed even that of the Mona Lisa.


Story By: S A Spencer
Author of Romance Fiction: Dream In Shackles

Photo by Skitterphoto


Read Part I here.

Leading up to the interview with the owner, my mind is filled with a mix of good and bad dreams. I arrive at the address, my heart racing with anticipation. As I ring the doorbell, I am greeted by a young woman, no more than thirty-five years old. She leads me into the drawing room, but to my disappointment, there is no sign of the dream painting I hoped to see. The young woman then asks me to take a seat, as if she is the one conducting the interview.

I can’t help but feel a sense of confusion and disappointment. I had requested a meeting with the artist, not her daughter. As I try to make sense of the situation, the young woman introduces herself as Melissa, the daughter of Jo Brinson, the artist behind the painting. My mind can’t help but wonder if Jo had somehow managed to stay young, given that the painting was created back in 1985.

Melissa explains that her mother had passed away, and that she is now the heir to the painting. I am puzzled, why anyone would keep such a valuable artwork hidden away for decades. Surely, it deserves to be viewed by art lovers and appreciated for its beauty.

As I ponder this, I took in the sights and sounds of the room. The walls are adorned with various paintings, but none of them compared to the one I had hoped to see. The room has a musty smell, like it hadn’t been aired out in a while. I can’t help but feel a sense of disappointment that the painting isn’t on display for me to see.

Despite this, I know that the story behind the painting is still worth hearing. So, I continue with the interview, my mind racing with questions about the painting and the artist behind it.

“I found this in one of my mother’s suitcases, with a note attached to it and a request to keep it private. She had allowed to show it in an exhibition with the condition that nobody should photograph it and not to sell this. But after just one day in the exhibition the organisers told me that it might be difficult for them to honour my mother’s wishes as they feared someone might sneak in a hidden camera and photoshoot it. I brought it back immediately.”

“It’s shocking. It deprived many art lovers like me from a once in a lifetime opportunity.”

“Will you like to see it again?”

My heart almost leaps out of the rib cage. “I am dying to view it again.”

“Can you assure me you don’t have a hidden camera, somewhere in your body or in this bag?”

I let out a chuckle and stand up, twirling around. “My eyes are my only camera,” I assure them. I then take my handbag in my hand and show them all the sides.

“Don’t worry, I trust you.”

Melissa gets up and vanishes into another room. The next moment she comes back with the portrait and places on the table. I am mesmerised again. What is the story behind this smile? And also the little girl?

 “It was not my mum, but was the wish of the mother of the child in the picture.” She sits in front of me. The room is quiet, except for the faint hum of the air conditioner. I can smell the freshly brewed coffee from the nearby cafe. As she speaks, I feel a sense of understanding wash over me.

“I understand. May I get …”

“I will tell you what my mum had written on the note.”

“Please.” I take out a water bottle from my bag and drink half of it, knowing very well water alone can’t quench my thirst.

“She was a terminally sick girl, only seven years old. She loved dancing and had a desire to perform on stage. My mum, Joanne, was a dance teacher as her hobby. This is where she came into the scene. Besides working as a dance teacher, she was also an artist. Again, a casual painter. I never remember her showcasing any of her pictures to the public. She was always underestimating her own ability as an artist.”

My eyes wander around the drawing room in case another such picture is on any of the walls, but find none. “I am sure your mother is a great artist, and most of the arts on your wall are her creations.”

Melissa lets out a smile and gets up. I am unable to understand what happened. Did I say something inappropriate?

She goes inside a room and brings a toy. A doll. A girl in a dancing pose.

“The girl whose painting Mum had drawn gifted this to her. That was the day before she died.”

Emotion takes over my interest in the drawing.

“While volunteering at the children’s hospital, my mum met a girl who had a strong desire to dance on a real stage in front of a live audience. Unfortunately, the girl’s mother had dismissed this dream as impossible due to her daughter’s weak physical condition and limited time left. She had attempted to teach the girl to dance in front of a makeshift audience consisting of hospital staff, but the girl was not satisfied. At her age, she could distinguish between a genuine audience and a pretended one.”

I take the doll in my hand and examine, as if I would find some clue. “What was her name?”

“I don’t know.” She swallows. “I really don’t know.” Melissa’s eyes look guilty. “Mum hasn’t written in her letter to me. She was calling her Fairy. I think it was just a… how do I explain…like a screen name. Or a name she wanted to refer to her. My mum’s dance students were about to perform on a stage a few weeks after and she spoke to the organisers if they could accommodate the girl’s dance as a special case.”

I put the doll back on the table. “Did they agree?”

Smile comes back on her face. “Yes, they did. And Mum visited the hospital daily and taught Fairy some simple steps which would be easy on her, taking consideration of her physical situation. She was confident Fairy would perform well on the stage. The passion she showed while rehearsing the steps forced her to believe in the girl. But she had doubts if she would survive until then.”

The story warms up the air. I am sure Fairy survived until then. “How was the program?”

“She was given the third slot in the program before a live audience of almost a thousand people, so that she would be sure it was a real dance program. And she performed really well up to Mum’s expectation and the roaring claps of the audience.”

“I hope I could find some recordings.”

“Unfortunately, no. It was 1985. Mum hasn’t told anything about a recording. I have checked all her belongings and found none. Again, without enough detail, it would be impossible to find Fairy’s mum or the organisers after decades. Fairy was really happy, and she sat in the audience to watch the rest of the show that evening.”

I stare at Melissa, patience running out of me. “Then?”

“When the show finished, Fairy’s mother was about to take her back to the hospital. Both mother and daughter came to meet Mum. It was then she took out this doll and gifted Mum. The little girl flashed a grin, her eyes sparkled with excitement that Mum couldn’t ignore. Upon returning home, Mum felt compelled to capture the girl’s smiling image on canvas, her way to keep alive the smile even after the girl’s death.”

“Was it the smile that encouraged her to draw?”

“Yes, that night she couldn’t sleep. She hoped if she could have captured that in a camera, but it was only for a few moments. She gave the smile a life on her canvass and finished it by the morning. That was when she got a call from Fairy’s mother.”

My heart jumped loudly against my ribs, as if the scene was in front of me.

“Fairy died that early morning.”

“It is so sad.” My eyes pool as if the incident is a fresh one.

“Mum named the painting: The Goddess of Smile.”

I know I won’t get another glimpse of the picture after this. “Why your mum wanted to keep it confidential?”

“I don’t know. Maybe it was Fairy’s mother. She was apprehensive her daughter’s photo might be used for commercial purposes and she had told my mum when she said to her about the painting.”

That is enough for me. I thank Melissa for her time and leave her home. Somethings are always printed in a person’s mind and the human doesn’t need any physical or electronic copy for remembering the same. Wasn’t it a fact before photography was invented?

The Goddess of Smile will always thrill my memory.

I pick up my handbag and thank Melissa.

All Stories on this Blog Site are purely a work of fiction and any resemblance to anyone or any incident is purely a coincidence. Copyright by Shrimant. All rights reserved. 

Please send your funny or other life experiences to me, and I will make a story and publish, acknowledging your contribution. Or, if you can write your own story, I will publish the same with your name as a writer. Writing should be between  1000-1500 words.

 S A Spencer- I will bring more stories for your entertainment. Please follow me 

 on Facebook and Twitter so that you know when a new story comes.

Do you like this story? Let your friends also read this.


Share through

 







Comments

Popular Stories

Lucky Chicks- A Cute Mini Story

Lucky Ladlee- a big house and a fat wallet can’t compensate for a large heart.

Miss Sparrow - A Story of Survival and Kindness